We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
This museum was opened in 1912. The founder and first director of the new museum was a famous philologist and art critic. Ivan Vladimirovich Tsvetaev (1847-1913), father of the Russian poet Marina Tsvetaeva. He managed to attract donations for the construction of the museum. And the main philanthropist was the owner of glassworks Yu. S. Nechaev-Maltsev.
Initially, the basis of the collections was plaster casts from famous sculptures from ancient times to the Renaissance. Since its founding, the museum has also kept the richest “Egyptian” collection of genuine cultural and art monuments of Ancient Egypt, which belonged to the Russian scientist B. C. Golenishchev.
Gradually, the museum brought together a beautiful collection of West European painting and sculpture of the 12th – 20th centuries. Her private collections were composed by Russian collectors, and a number of paintings were transferred to the Hermitage Museum. Now here is a painting of Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Flemish, English, French artists.
The museum is especially famous for its large collection works of french impressionists. The fact is that some Russian collectors of the last third of the 19th century, for example, entrepreneurs M. A. Morozov, S. Schukin, S. Mamontov, bought paintings by young French impressionists even when they were completely unknown. Now the names of these masters are famous: Claude Monet, Auguste Renoir, Edgar Degas, Camille Pissarro, Paul Cezanne, Alfred Sisley ...
Now the State Museum of Fine Arts named after A.S. Pushkin, the basis of the huge collection of which was made up of these private collections, many famous French museums envy.